collapse collapse

* Howell Weather

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

* Our Site Is Protected

SiteLock

* Registration Requirements

Your Username must include at least your first initial and your last name. No Anonymous screen names will be permitted

Author Topic: Town Manager gets $18,000 raise in 2013  (Read 3311 times)

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
Re: Town Manager gets $18,000 raise in 2013
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
I did not say one thing about workers or civil servants. DPW, teachers, cops, people behind the desk, these are the ones who should get the raises, get their contracts done, and more hired to fill all the under staffing. This is where we need the help. That is where my tax dollars should go and that's where we are lacking.

I said administrators, superintendents, and directors. All I said is I read the paper every day and there is some new executives hired with a salary around $150,000 plus all the perks and benefits. This is what is bleeding us and needs to come under control.

I'm not saying what town or any person's name. All I'm saying if there is a opening in a Town or BOE for a high level position. If the person who just left was making $120,000 after 10 or 20 years why can't you say the next person gets S100,000. It seems the next person is getting hired right off the bat getting $150,000 plus better perks.
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Bruce

Offline James OBrien

• Full
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
Again statements without supporting facts are just noise.

I have worked in public education for 24 years and have seen every administrative position at every level posted and filled. I have never seen a position filled with a salary higher or at the same as the out going staff members pay. I have worked in 4 different districts and made these moves myself and I can assure you I started every job for less then the person I replaced.

So please, when you want to post about public employees please supply facts so you do not paint us all with your non-founded facts. 

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »
James as a public employee I agree with you but I have seen positions get higher salaries then their predecessor.  Unfortunatley the average taxpayer does not see the difference.

Lately many of the management positions have taken on roles due to assistant management being let go and not replaced.  Where you would normally have an assistant they have dissolved this position leaving the managment to take care of everything.  On this occasion I would agree with a higher starting salary.

But back to the Howell Township Manager, she has never had an assissant and I do not believe she should be recieving a 13% raise considering she can not even come to an agreement with her employees who are capped under the Christie regulations at a 2% raise.  3 years they are out of contract!!  How do you feel about that??  As a public employee that is my focus and I think it should be yours also.

John, I understand your take on this, but unless you know all the facts on each raise, it is hard to make a decision.  Just because you see positions starting at a high salary, you need to research those jobs and see why that salary is set.  Some are on par and some are not.  But until you research all the facts, you can not group all public employees in the same area.  I know this was not your intention, but this is how it came across.

We are a group of people who only want what is right.  Lets share our knowledge and create a better understanding instead of pointing fingers.

This topic is about the town manager receiving a 13% raise.  Is this right considering she can not negotiate a contract with her employees that is capped to a 2% raise? 

I say NO!!  This manager needs to settle her own employee problems before she is awarded any raise.  And any council member that agrees with this raise should be ashamed!

Being honest may not get you many friends but it'll always get you the right ones. - John Lennon.

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »
I just don't know how this conversation got so screwed up. I said nothing about public employees all I said is reading the Asbury Park Press and seeing all these new hires for executive positions getting these high salaries. If the retiring person is getting 120 how come the next person is getting hired at 150? Shouldn't they start lower and work their way up? I don't have facts because it's just an observation from reading the morning paper over a cup of coffee. 
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Bruce

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
The point still needs to remain on howell and do you think the manager deserves a 13% raise.    I'm still waiting for an answer to this question? 
Being honest may not get you many friends but it'll always get you the right ones. - John Lennon.

Offline Vinny Lazzara

• Junior
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what qualifications does Helene posess to head OEM??

Offline Curtis Vislocky

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
My personal feeling is the Town Manager's salary is on par, with what other Municipalities our size is paying their managers; so this does not overly concern me. If this is the salary she negotiated so be it. It's up to the Mayor and Council to decided whether or not she's meeting or exceeding the goals that they expect or set for her.

In business sometimes to retain good people you need to pay them. There may be some difference of opinion on this matter. From my neck of the woods; it appears that town is doing a decent job. My opinion is very subjective as I base it one what I see in relation to where I live in Howell.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:59:09 AM by Curtis Vislocky »

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »
Not to change the subject or go off topic but for James these are the articles I'm talking about.
http://howell.patch.com/articles/former-wall-schools-super-bilked-district-laundered-money
Bruce

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
In sticking with your philosophy, as long as an employee's salary is on par we shouldn't question the percentage of their raise.

In this case we could give all Howell employees a 13% raise as long as their total salary is within par with the surrounding towns and there should be no problem.  I guess the manager should have no problem negotiating contracts this year.

My problem isn't with the amount of money the manager is making, it is with the amount of raise she is receiving which is not on par with any of the surrounding towns.   

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:09:59 PM by Tina Smilek »

Offline James OBrien

• Full
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:13 PM »
Not to change the subject or go off topic but for James these are the articles I'm talking about.
http://howell.patch.com/articles/former-wall-schools-super-bilked-district-laundered-money

That has nothing to do with what you stated earlier in this thread. This is clearly wrong but far from the norm when you talk about public employees.

Offline James OBrien

• Full
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
Vinny I thought that same thing when I first she was appointed to this position.

I truly believe Mr. Sanasac did an excellent job as our OEM director.

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
Mr. Sanasac, he is the Business Administrator for the schools correct?  He's the one that suggested the schools hire the security person and also wants to put armed guards in our schools?

How about this.  We use the guy that was hired to review security and set policy in the schools to run the OEM instead of someone that has no prior experience.  The town and school can share the cost and we can save money on both.   ;D

Offline Curtis Vislocky

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
I'm sure there are requirements (aka Certifications / Education) for someone to act as the OEM Manager. Does anyone know if our Town Manager obtain those certifications? She very well may have. Also, you can't compare raises paid to management over that giving to a collective bargaining unit. Both are totally different. Not everyone is qualified to be Town Manager. Thus, what qualifications does someone need to work for the Parks Department or Public Works? Certainly not a college degree. I speak with some level of knowledge in this area, as my bother-in-law is a town employee in Northern NJ.

So to retain a competent, highly skilled individual makes sense. Not dismiss the jobs that our town employees perform; but how many of them require college degrees?

Offline Chet Smilek

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
Curtis, as a public employee I find your statements offensive and without basis.  Many public works employees require a variety of certifications and licenses to perform their duties which include electricians, Carpenters, Plumbers and HVAC to name a few.  Although these employees do not have college degrees they have an education in their field. 

So for you to think the average employee doesnt deserve a decent raise because they are not as college educated seems to be shallow.  Many of those uneducated people you talk about work around the clock and spend countless hours away from their families in times of need and emergency to ensure you and your family's safety.

Any time you would like to educate yourself on my  duties and responsibilities as a public works employee you can feel free to call me. 

Offline Elaine Kerslake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
Chet, I think you miss read what Curt said. He was comparing education for management/administration vs the employees, who may receive trade certifications, but most of these positions don't require a college degree.

Nor was he stating these workers don't deserve a decent raise, they do. This thread is about the raise that the Town Manager just got as she also is the OEM and a few other positions.
"Sometimes not giving up is the most heroic thing you can do", Ray Pritchard

* Calendar

October 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Shout Box

Refresh History
  • John Gazire: Ghostbusters in Howell has been postponed until next Saturday (10/18) at 7pm
    October 11, 2014, 03:55:07 PM
  • John Gazire: Sat Oct 11th 7:00 Ghostbusters on the hill by the library.
    October 09, 2014, 08:49:20 PM
  • John Gazire: Big win for Rutgers.
    October 04, 2014, 10:41:14 PM
  • John Gazire: Derek Jeter
    September 25, 2014, 06:25:13 PM
  • John Gazire: Fall is in the air.
    September 16, 2014, 07:08:32 AM
  • John Gazire: Movies in the Park **7:45 start**
    September 05, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
  • John Gazire: Friday Sept 5th Lego Movie
    September 01, 2014, 06:14:40 PM
  • John Gazire: Howell Day ~ August 23, 2014 5pm-Fireworks. New location Soldier Memorial Park.
    August 18, 2014, 09:46:43 PM
  • John Gazire: Movies in the Park. Sat. Aug 9th The Sandlot
    August 08, 2014, 09:35:38 AM
  • John Gazire: Mon Co Fair starts Wed.
    July 23, 2014, 08:21:53 AM
  • John Gazire: Want a great weekend but need a little rain.
    July 13, 2014, 02:47:32 PM
  • John Gazire: safe and healty 4th of July weekend.
    July 03, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
  • John Gazire: Go Team USA
    June 26, 2014, 01:19:42 PM
  • John Gazire: Major Fire in Aldrich Plaza. Updates on Facebook page.
    June 23, 2014, 11:20:59 PM
  • John Gazire: Rainy week
    June 11, 2014, 08:19:28 PM
  • John Gazire: Found Dog/Pics on Facebook page
    June 05, 2014, 04:50:38 PM
  • John Gazire: Primary Election Day and Shivers Ice Cream.
    June 03, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
  • John Gazire: Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
    May 26, 2014, 11:35:18 AM
  • John Gazire: Great weekend weather so far.
    May 17, 2014, 04:58:27 PM
  • John Gazire: Ice Cream post on Facebook.
    May 15, 2014, 07:45:29 PM

* Quick Search

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 13
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Welcome Our Newest Member