collapse collapse

* Howell Weather

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Council's Cap Bank & how it effects our taxes by Tina Smilek
[Yesterday at 10:24:27 PM]

Re: Blog Feeds?? by Curtis Vislocky
[Yesterday at 09:39:25 PM]

Re: Blog Feeds?? by John Gazire
[Yesterday at 08:23:11 PM]

Blog Feeds?? by Tina Smilek
[Yesterday at 07:42:00 PM]

[Feed]Lake Restoration and Wildlife Management Committee Agenda by Our Howell NJ
[Yesterday at 07:08:13 PM]

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Welcome Our Newest Member

* Our Site Is Protected

SiteLock

* Petition

Author Topic: Howell Taxpayer Waste  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Curtis Vislocky

• Administrator
Howell Taxpayer Waste
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
A resident of Howell created a site about Taxpayer Waste in Howell. I found the site very informative.

http://www.taxpayerwaste.com/

Offline William Field

• Junior
Re: Howell Taxpayer Waste
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
The more people we have watching what the government is doing, the better.  This is why we need the volunteer committees back and as much citizen oversight as we can get.

Offline Curtis Vislocky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
Mr. Field,

Personally I don't think that is the answer. As the owner of the taxpayer waste board mentioned. The Deputy Mayor held office hours for anyone who had issues with their taxes. Only 5 people made appointments to sit with the Deputy Mayor.

Why is that? I believe it is because we live in an apathetic culture. It appears that people want things handed to them. Nobody cares to be involved.

Unless we can get away from this culture of entitlement I feel there is not much hope for us.

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
Apathetic Culture?  I really hope that isn't the case.  I think with all the blogs, comments on app.com and patch.com, the article you just published proves that people are not apathetic in Howell.

If the Deputy Mayor honestly was concerned about reaching as many people as possible to show his concern in this matter, he should have held a special meeting that was then able to be broadcasted on tv.  The last council meeting had 200+ residents with about 20 people speaking.  Doesn't mean the other 180 people didn't care. 

Not everyone is comfortable sitting one on one with a council member.  But no one bothered to take that into consideration.  And still no one knows what Deputy Mayor Gotto's stance is on this, because if you didn't have a question, there was no reason to make an appointment.  Doesn't mean I or other people weren't interested in hearing his responses.

Mr. Field, I would love to see volunteer committees and I think there are definately residents that care enough to want to get involved.  It is just finding the right people to vote for who want to make Howell a community instead of just a town of taxpayers.

As everyone knows, about a week and a half ago, at the request of Deputy Mayor Gotto,I wrote the council and asked why they will not support Deputy Mayor Gotto's request for volunteer committees.  I received 1 reply from Councilman Nicastro who said he would support volunteer committees on an as needed basis, but the committees that Deputy Mayor Gotto said he requested he did not feel were needed and did not support them.

How is that for apathetic?  You write 4 Council Members and only get 1 reply.  And yes I understand that Councilwoman Smith is not an emailer, so it may take longer then a week and a half for her to have a response.

I do agree that we need to get away from the culture of entitlements but I think that is a whole different subject from volunteer committees.
Being honest may not get you many friends but it'll always get you the right ones. - John Lennon.

Offline William Field

• Junior
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
Many of us are indeed apathetic, or at least apathetic about some things.  We're all apathetic about the things we don't feel are important.  But some of us care passionately about certain things and it's those people I would like to hear from: those who are passionate and educated about various issues.  The 5 members of the town council cannot possibly know everything that is going on in town and citizen committees that are not simply "ad hoc" or "as needed" will provide more eyes and ears, both to help the government do its job and to slow the government down when it gets silly ideas.

Believe me, every government gets silly ideas at times.

Offline Bruce_Kunz

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
Hi.
I would like to suggest that many are very interested in their worlds and have strong, informed opinions about many things. Unfortunately, many do appear apathetic simply because there is not enough time to nor value in trying to "participate in change" as an individual - which seems to always happen on others' schedules anyway.
Virtually all proposals are met with resistance and/ or just plain arrogance so it gets really old after a while.

It's really nice when someting simple comes along and, for example, simply getting a chicken sandwich and an extra large soda sends some pretty powerful messages. Given an easy & convenient way to express themselves, people don't seem so apathetic anymore.
Bruce

PS: is the subject of "Taxpayer Waste" really accurate for the topic?

Offline EMonti

• Full
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
I think the issue is larger than what we are discussing.  The committee would NOT be speaking with the council or the Mayor - in fact it should act in a similar way that the NYPD Civilian Complaint Review Board operates.  The Waste Committee would be made up of residents with no ties to the council, teachers, unions, police, developers, builders or businesses in Howell.  Simple enough!

The committee would liaison with the Department of justice in DC.  The committee would be given access to DETAILED costs and expenditures, hiring practices to stomp out the nepotism in the township, the issuance of building permits etc...

The Committee would NOT answer to the Mayor and the council - rather they would report to the Committee.  That's how it should be done.  And as a post script it is unacceptable for any member of the council NOT to email - is this the NYS Governors office?   :)

Now - finding people with the time and skills necessary to intelligently administer such a committee is the hard part.   No one likes to be watched lets face it but if they are watched and held legally/criminally liable I think the integrity level and respect for their constituents rises to the level it should be at already.

I think that people having strong opinions is good.  I think the apathy comes from the so called politicians shutting people down.  NYC has many civic organizations and the politicians are clear about their roles.  Respect for the tax paying citizens is sorely lacking in Howell from what I have observed watching the meetings on TV.

No one can stop us from forming our own watchdog groups and via FOIA they must turn over what we request.

I am going to check out that web site about Howell waste right now.  Remember if we feel like we are living in a corrupt Mayberry we have recourse to Federal agencies.  Be empowered!  If you feel intimidated or threatened just check out:  http://www.justice.gov/

Our strength extends beyond Howell borders.

Offline EMonti

• Full
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »
Curtis - that is an excellent web site!  Thank you.  The Taxpayer waste site is worth following and the ideas expressed are intelligent and make sense. 

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
A year since this was posted and it seems to no longer exist. 

Goodbye to yet one more Howell Blog.  It's a shame too because it received so much press when he started it. Wonder what happened?
Being honest may not get you many friends but it'll always get you the right ones. - John Lennon.

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
It takes a lot to keep a blog running and successful. There was many a time when I felt I was talking to myself here and just trying to make posts hoping people would jump on board. I think Facebook and tweeting is the hot thing and people like the quick check, post, and go. The important thing is people do follow what we all post about here. People don't like to speak up so sometimes a few have to speak up for everyone.
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Bruce

* Calendar

April 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26
27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

* Shout Box

Refresh History
  • John Gazire: Let's Go Yankees.
    April 01, 2014, 06:21:34 AM
  • bob walsh: please no snow!!budget constraints
    March 16, 2014, 10:13:45 PM
  • John Gazire: Im ready for Spring.
    March 12, 2014, 04:57:56 PM
  • John Gazire: More snow
    March 03, 2014, 10:15:42 AM
  • John Gazire: Boogity Boogity Boogity .... Let's go Racin'
    February 23, 2014, 12:21:31 PM
  • John Gazire: Snow Day Thurs Feb 13th
    February 12, 2014, 09:41:16 PM
  • John Gazire: Go Team USA
    February 08, 2014, 12:11:37 AM
  • John Gazire: Snow, Ice, Delays, Closings.
    February 04, 2014, 09:06:45 PM
  • John Gazire: Super Bowl
    February 02, 2014, 08:53:27 AM
  • John Gazire: Snow Again
    January 20, 2014, 11:49:54 PM
  • John Gazire: Baby it's cold outside.
    January 06, 2014, 09:54:43 PM
  • John Gazire: SNOOOOOOOOOOW
    January 02, 2014, 08:04:54 AM
  • John Gazire: GO RU
    December 28, 2013, 12:32:11 PM
  • John Gazire: Santa Fire drive-thru posts on Facebook page.
    December 12, 2013, 12:30:24 PM
  • Jackie Everitt: School already talking early close for Tues.
    December 09, 2013, 05:09:52 PM
  • John Gazire: SNOW
    December 08, 2013, 12:43:33 PM
  • John Gazire: caNO hustle in Seattle.
    December 06, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
  • John Gazire: FOG ALERT
    December 05, 2013, 07:56:59 AM
  • John Gazire: Tree Lighting.
    December 04, 2013, 12:08:25 AM
  • J Branin: Boy Scout Wreath Sale Today Main Street, Farmingdale
    November 29, 2013, 10:59:32 AM

* Quick Search