collapse collapse

* Howell Weather

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: 4 Running for Howell BOE by J Smith
[Yesterday at 03:19:20 PM]

Tri-Town Council Candidate Information by Tina Smilek
[October 30, 2014, 06:53:46 PM]

Re: 4 Running for Howell BOE by Tina Smilek
[October 30, 2014, 06:47:58 PM]

Re: 4 Running for Howell BOE by J Smith
[October 30, 2014, 08:18:32 AM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by Tina Smilek
[October 29, 2014, 10:36:57 PM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by Curtis Vislocky
[October 29, 2014, 10:13:46 PM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by John Gazire
[October 29, 2014, 10:11:39 AM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by Curtis Vislocky
[October 29, 2014, 09:49:59 AM]

Re: 2014 Howell Election Flyers - Democrat & Republican by Jackie Everitt
[October 29, 2014, 09:22:06 AM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by Jackie Everitt
[October 29, 2014, 09:16:12 AM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by Tina Smilek
[October 27, 2014, 08:11:07 PM]

Re: Removal of Election Signs by J Branin
[October 27, 2014, 07:04:08 AM]

* Our Site Is Protected

SiteLock

* Registration Requirements

Your Username must include at least your first initial and your last name. No Anonymous screen names will be permitted

Author Topic: Oak Glen Dog Park  (Read 18124 times)

Offline Tina Smilek

Re: Oak Glen Dog Park
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:52 PM »
John it was only about 27 minutes into the meeting.  They expect to have the retaining wall and the dog park completed by Howell Day.  And the retaining wall money is coming from an insurance claim.

Paul, lighten up.  Was the meeting even out when Steve made his post?  Not everyone gets a chance to watch these things as soon as they come out.   

I am honestly happy to hear that the retaining wall and the dog park are moving forward. It is amazing how things get done so quickly in Howell in an election year.  Thanks for the update! :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:56:24 PM by Tina Smilek »
Being honest may not get you many friends but it'll always get you the right ones. - John Lennon.

Offline Paul_Boisvert

• Junior
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 05:56:47 AM »
Tina, I'm all good. The meeting was Tuesday, well before he posted. And I've said it once and I'll say it again, watch or attend a meeting and your answers are right there. Or in the time it takes to post you can always just email the council or manager.

Offline Steve Morlino

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 08:00:34 AM »
Steve, you as the Dem. Chairman should pay a little more attention to whats going on in town. Instead of just throwing out some politcal bs. At the last council meeting an update was given and the dog park was said to be ready by July

Paul,
I hope you are correct and this "years in the making" project gets completed.  What is the final location?  What is the cost?  How much have we spent to date? 

Perhaps if the public had some facts on a regular basis the rumors would end... And the BS comes from town hall.  Why do we always have to wait for a election to get anything done?
Steve

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
Paul, unfortunately I think I see more results posting on here then I do emailing the council and manager.

Steve....Will your candidate be at Howell Day for questions??
Being honest may not get you many friends but it'll always get you the right ones. - John Lennon.

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
July 7th is coming up fast. Hopefully the Dog Park and retaining wall repairs are complete.
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Bruce

Offline Tina Smilek

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »
I'm still waiting to see how much input the ad-hoc Dog Park Committee had and how many times they met. 

It really wouldn't suprise me if the committee never got off the ground or met.  But I am hoping to be wrong. 

Any one have any background on this??

Offline Chet Smilek

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
Went to the dog park this morning and it was chained and locked shut. I was glad to see they used some of my ideas for the layout. Overall I think it looks good. Now lets open it up for people to enjoy..I guess the powers to be need to have their pictures taken for the press to claim all the CREDIT for getting this done. It is an election year

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
They can take credit because that's what they do BUT if we didn't push and keep up the fight it would've never got done.
I'll check it out one of these days. I just hope the resident that use it really like it because it was a real fight to get it.
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Bruce

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »
Just got this today. I'm pretty busy on Sat but on one of the trips to the dump maybe I'll stop by to take a peek at the final outcome of this whole disaster.

Dear Residents,

We invite all residents and their dogs to attend the official opening of Howell Township's Bark Park, 9:30am, Saturday, July 21, at Oak Glen Park.  All dogs must have a valid dog license and be vaccinated. No aggressive dogs, no dogs in season, and no puppies under 4 months old are allowed.  The Bark Park will be open from dawn to dusk.
Bruce

Offline Curtis Vislocky

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
John, why do you believe this is a disaster? Since I don't own a dog and this park really has no bearing on me. However, I am curious to know how much of my tax dollars went to build it and how much of my tax dollars will it take to maintain it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:46:31 PM by Curtis Vislocky »

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
Curtis when I said disaster I mean the whole process from the beginning. It was just suppose to be an add on to Soldier Memorial on an unusable part of Easy St in 2007. Then finding out the plans where turned into a $250,000 project. The not knowing if the project will ever get finished. The nonsense of moving it from Easy St to the woods of Oak Glen. To the eventual demises of the RAC.

Our original goal was to finish what we can with donations and volunteers plus a grant. I guess it's all just water under the bridge now. I honestly can't say where the project finished on taxpayer costs so I won't even speculate. I just hope that eventually it turns into a positive for the Township.
Bruce

Offline J Branin

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
Just got this today. I'm pretty busy on Sat but on one of the trips to the dump maybe I'll stop by to take a peek at the final outcome of this whole disaster.

Dear Residents,

We invite all residents and their dogs to attend the official opening of Howell Township's Bark Park, 9:30am, Saturday, July 21, at Oak Glen Park.  All dogs must have a valid dog license and be vaccinated. No aggressive dogs, no dogs in season, and no puppies under 4 months old are allowed.  The Bark Park will be open from dawn to dusk.

I may pop down with my camera since I won't be bringing my dog.  LOL   I'm interested to see how many show up - hopefully the folks with well mannered dogs.   ;)

Is it rain or shine?  Last I checked it was supposed to be raining around that time.

I know where Oak Glen Park is but can anyone point out on a map where this Bark Park is in it?   

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
It's in the woods on the hill next to the basketball parking lot.
Bruce

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
Here is an artice from the Asbury Park Press and it shows some costs and figures. At least the RAC got a small mention for all their hard work. After all the negatives can we finally call this a win for all parties? 8)

HOWELL The township will unleash its long-awaited dog park in Oak Glen Park Saturday, a project that cost $31,461.

Funding for the project, which was in negotiations for six years, came from donations, reserve funds and township funds. A portion of the funding, $3,642 in donations, stemmed from the former Recreation Advisory Committee in 2011. Reserve funds, Old Builders contributions from developers for park improvements, were $22,000 and the remaining $5,819 came from township funds.
Two fenced-in areas make up the Howell Township dog park one for pooches weighing under 30 pounds, a second for dogs bigger than 30 pounds.
Fencing was the heftiest cost, totaling at $28,335, according to Township Manager Helene Schlegel. Benches cost $2,471, signs $625. The remaining $30 went toward paint.
Tracey Dubey of the Ramtown section took a peak at the park during Howell Day, July 7.
Its smaller than I thought it was going to be, but the benches and the facility look great overall. I cant wait to use it, said Dubey, who owns Pluto, a 6-year-old pit bull and Bobby, a 10-year-old dachshund.
Dubey thinks the dog park, which is the first in Howell, is long overdue. It definitely adds something for the residents who have pets that would utilize it. It adds value, she said, explaining she will probably visit the area a few times a month. Its a great way to get together and exercise our fur babies.
Veronica Rizzitello of Farmingdale is looking forward to bringing Roxy, her 3-year-old pug to the dog park. I think its a good idea. Ive actually been wanting something like this to come around. Itd be fun to bring Roxy. Shes a maniac, so it would be great to let her interact with other dogs, said Rizzitello.
Rizzitello, who says she may take Roxy to the park every few weeks, also thinks the park can become another venue for the community to interact with each other.
You can walk around, have other friends come with their dogs and it can be a cool get-together place, said Rizzitello. I would like to get other people we know that have dogs. Your dogs get to have little friends, and it can get the dogs to rid some of their energy. Its not good to keep them in the house all the time. Everybody wins.
It doesnt even seem like a whole lot of money, its like a low-end Lexus price, said Rizzitello, when told the parks cost.
A township notice regarding the park was sent out Wednesday, stating dogs that are aggressive, not in season and under 4 months old are not permitted. Residents can only bring dogs that are vaccinated and have a valid dog license.
All residents are invited to the official opening at 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
The park, available to all New Jersey residents, will be open from dawn to dusk daily. Oak Glen Park is located at 251 Preventorium Road.
Bruce

Offline John Gazire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
Just got back from the Bark Park. I'll leave the positives and negatives up to others who visit because input from everyone is how we make things better.
What was nice was to realize our fight to get this done was worth it. Maybe the majority of people won't use it but there was a group that wanted it and Recreation as a whole should be diverse and for all ages and groups. The families we were with were really excited to have this dog park and looking forward to having something different to do to met other Howell residents and get out with their dogs.

Next up I don't want to hear about FEMA or who's to blame or that I don't know all the details. It's been almost a year and it's nothing but an ugly safety hazard so let's get the retaining wall fixed at Oak Glen.
Bruce

* Calendar

November 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
[1]
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

No calendar events were found.

* Shout Box

Refresh History
  • John Gazire: Happy Halloween.
    October 30, 2014, 10:07:43 PM
  • John Gazire: Ghostbusters in Howell has been postponed until next Saturday (10/18) at 7pm
    October 11, 2014, 03:55:07 PM
  • John Gazire: Sat Oct 11th 7:00 Ghostbusters on the hill by the library.
    October 09, 2014, 08:49:20 PM
  • John Gazire: Big win for Rutgers.
    October 04, 2014, 10:41:14 PM
  • John Gazire: Derek Jeter
    September 25, 2014, 06:25:13 PM
  • John Gazire: Fall is in the air.
    September 16, 2014, 07:08:32 AM
  • John Gazire: Movies in the Park **7:45 start**
    September 05, 2014, 10:20:03 AM
  • John Gazire: Friday Sept 5th Lego Movie
    September 01, 2014, 06:14:40 PM
  • John Gazire: Howell Day ~ August 23, 2014 5pm-Fireworks. New location Soldier Memorial Park.
    August 18, 2014, 09:46:43 PM
  • John Gazire: Movies in the Park. Sat. Aug 9th The Sandlot
    August 08, 2014, 09:35:38 AM
  • John Gazire: Mon Co Fair starts Wed.
    July 23, 2014, 08:21:53 AM
  • John Gazire: Want a great weekend but need a little rain.
    July 13, 2014, 02:47:32 PM
  • John Gazire: safe and healty 4th of July weekend.
    July 03, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
  • John Gazire: Go Team USA
    June 26, 2014, 01:19:42 PM
  • John Gazire: Major Fire in Aldrich Plaza. Updates on Facebook page.
    June 23, 2014, 11:20:59 PM
  • John Gazire: Rainy week
    June 11, 2014, 08:19:28 PM
  • John Gazire: Found Dog/Pics on Facebook page
    June 05, 2014, 04:50:38 PM
  • John Gazire: Primary Election Day and Shivers Ice Cream.
    June 03, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
  • John Gazire: Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
    May 26, 2014, 11:35:18 AM
  • John Gazire: Great weekend weather so far.
    May 17, 2014, 04:58:27 PM

* Quick Search

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 8
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Welcome Our Newest Member